Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) Online Request

FAQ | Security | Privacy Notice

Changes to the Access to Information and Privacy online services!

If you are seeking information held by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) or about the processing of immigration/citizenship/passport applications for specific individuals held by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), continue on this site and select the department below. If you are seeking corporate records or employee information held by IRCC or information belonging to any other government institution, please go to  Treasury Board Secretariat’s ATIP Online Request Service.

Need Help?

Top questions

What do I need to submit a request online?

  • Proof that you have the right to make a request (Access to Information Act only):
    • A proof of Canadian citizenship, such as a copy of your passport or citizenship certificate;
    • A proof of your status as a permanent resident, such as a copy of your permanent resident card; or
    • A proof of temporary status in Canada, such as a work, study and/or visitor permit.
  • Consent, if applicable:
    • If you are making a request on behalf of someone else, you must include consent to release their information.
    • The consent must be signed and dated by the person authorizing the disclosure of his/her information.
    • You should include the consent for each individual over the age of 18 that may be listed in your file.
    • If submitting your request to IRCC, please use the Consent for an Access to Information and Personal Information Request form (IMM 5744).
  • Credit card, if your request is being made under the Access to Information Act:
    • There is a $5.00 application fee for these requests. There are no fees under the Privacy Act.
    • At the end of the application, you will be automatically directed to an e-Payment tool, where you will be required to pay your $5.00 application fee using a Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit card.

What can I expect from the online tool?

  • The ATIP online request consists of a series of questions, which must be answered in sequence in order to proceed (unless the question is optional).
  • Please note that this request won’t save your information; therefore you must complete the entire request at one time. Also, don't use your browser's navigation buttons "Back" and "Forward", as they will not work, and all of your information will be lost.
  • If you are unsure of how to answer a question, use the "Help" feature by clicking on the icon in the top-right corner of the question box. This feature provides information to assist you when answering questions.
  • After you have answered all of the questions, you will be presented with a document checklist, which will list the documents you need to provide. You must scan and attach your documents with your request.
  • After you have completed your online request and paid your fee (if applicable), you will receive an e-mail confirming that we have received your request. If it was made under the Access to Information Act, you will also receive a payment receipt in this e-mail.

What happens if I submit my request to the wrong department?

  • Requests made under the Access to Information Act may be transferable to a federal institution with greater interest under certain circumstances. Requests for records from multiple institutions can't be transferred.
  • Requests made under the Privacy Act can't be transferred.
  • If the institution that received the request don't hold the requested documents and the request can't be transferred, you will receive a formal response indicating this.

Did you know that your request for corporate records may have already been released?

  • Using keywords, you can search summaries of completed ATI requests for all government institutions. If you find information of interest, you can request the previously released documents directly from your search results. Please note that fees are not required for such request and there are no deadlines for responding.

For further guidance, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Please pick from the following options:

Submit a request for information with Immigration, Refugees and, Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Submit a request for information with Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)

Submit a request for information with a different Government of Canada institution

Obtain information about your immigration or citizenship application status

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, please contact us.

Date Modified: 2024-05-23_12:24:11